Thursday, October 22, 2015

Becoming a "Yes man"

Living in the moment, trying to take a step back and really for once just live in the moment. As many Americans agree it's typically our culture to always be focused on the future, Go to school, get a job, get married, buy a house, have kids. Some call this the American dream, for most of my life I would have to agree this was my mindset, now I'm not saying having a plan isn't a bad thing, but we often tend to lose sight of what's actually happening at this current moment. So far this experience has taught me one crucial life lesson I will always hold close to me. That is to live in the moment, how am I supposed to make the most of my future if I'm not even making the most of my present? This is the key to getting the most out of my experience, By saying "yes". Say yes to everything, if someone offers you food, perhaps you've never thought you would try, do it, last week at a Brazilian BBQ I ate chicken heart for the first time.  I'm not the type of person who ordinarily goes out to the clubs or pubs often back at home, but I've learned to really enjoy going out with friends, anytime they ask even if it's on a Tuesday, Because each new experience leaves me with new memories, and stories that I can always hold on to. Pushing myself out of my comfort zone, and actually trying every new thing I can and each time becomes even better, everyday I can see myself growing into a happier, more confident person and I owe that to saying "yes". I never want to look back at this experience of studying abroad and think "what could I have done to enjoy myself more, or get more out of this time". Instead I want to look back each time knowing I took advantage of every opportunity in front of me, tried anything new I possibly could and using these experiences to shape the person I want to be for the rest of my life.

If I was to give one piece of advise to anyone planning on studying abroad it would be to mix and mingle every single day with every person you meet. It's great to have a solid core of friends who you can count on to be there for you, but DO NOT stick primarily in that group, any event or group trip you attend place yourself into another group of people. The more friends the merrier, especially being someone who is fluent in English you are a great asset for any group of international students, most of them come abroad to develop stronger English skills and they will greatly appreciate your time and friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment